Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Meet Nipper

My husband and I travel often to the Bahamas and many times to Marsh Harbour in the Abacos. We would see these street dogs, sometimes befriending one but never knew their plight. Apparently these wonderful animals are called Potcakes because their main food source was from the bottom of the pot of peas and rice that the Bahamians would reheat for their families and at the bottom of the pot would be a layer of overcooked food they call Potcake. This would be scraped out and fed to the dogs, thus the name "Potcake". We looked up the website for the Potcake rescue effort and while in Marsh Harbour, could not find even one puppy. We wanted a younger dog so it would get along with our two little ones. About a week after we returned to Florida, I got an email from Molly, a realtor in Marsh Harbour and a leader in the rescue effort. She sent me a photo of Nipper. He had already been abused and neglected so it was a few weeks before he could come to the States and into our home. Molly flew him over for me and my brother and I met her at West Palm Beach airport and he's been a happy, sweet addition to our family. As the photo shows, he blended right in and now has a loving forever home.

Patricia Bounds
Fort Pierce, FL

No comments:

Post a Comment