Sunday, December 12, 2010

Late night visitor

This is Koda. Late one Saturday night I was going to bed, I did all my normal stuff, went around turned off lights shut the back door. I had just turned off the front porch light and shut the door when I heard this odd scratching and whining sound coming from it. I went and opened the door and in waddles this fat little brown puppy. Now more then six weeks old at the most. He had on a collar and was the happiest thing. I stepped outside to see if there was anyone around looking for him, but there was no one.

The next few days we took him everywhere asking if anyone knew who he belonged to. We put up flyers, called the vet and the pound to let them know. But no one ever claimed him. I kept telling my husband and my father that we would look for a good home for him elsewhere but really I was just putting off the inevitable. We kept him. About a month after we found him our coonhound June became very ill. She had been hit by a car in the summer and had just gotten her release from the vet to start going back outside and on walks. We were so happy.

But the vet missed that her diaphram had been torn when she had been hit and all her internal organs had moved forward into her chest cavity. We ended up having to put her down the week before Christmas. I think Koda was my saving grace during that time. He was a needy whiny little brown fluffball and I needed to be needed. So now my family is pretty complete with my basset hound Sherlock, Koda our mutt, and Thor the great dane.

Erin Acosta
Borger, TX

1 comment:

  1. What a touching story. Everyone thinks that we save them but they really save us, don't they?

    ReplyDelete