Sunday, June 19, 2011

Nanook gets a buddy

I knew it was going to happen. My wife came home and said we were fostering a husky that was going to be put to sleep. I told her we had 3 dogs and the dog would move in if she brought it home. We went to pick up the husky named Nanook and he cowered in the back of the truck. He had been given to some people who were going to have him put to sleep. They said he was too mean to be trusted because they had left him alone with their cat and the cat didn't fare well. When we saw how he interacted with the other dogs, we knew he had a home for life!

A year or so later, we lost Nanook's buddy, and he was miserable. He moped, A LOT! My wife talked to the people at Chouteau Pound Pals in Chouteau, OK, into letting us bring Nanook to pick out a new friend. Nanook liked a pit bull mix.  Piper was far from the stereotypical pit bull. In fact, our jack russell bullies her around (when they are not playing). Admittedly, it's hard to sleep with a 50lb dog on the pillow!

Two months ago, we rescued 2 puppies that were thrown from a moving car. Fortunately, they found new homes quickly; but for the 2 days before they went to new homes, Piper doted over them, again proving the pit bull stereotype is incorrect. 3 morals to this story: #1 I was right, Nanook is in his forever home. #2 Don't believe everything you read. #3 Everyone needs a second chance for a new beginning.

Nathan Free
Inola, OK

1 comment:

  1. I enjoy reading your posts on DogsRPeople2, as well as the posts of the other contributors. I thought you all might like to hear about my company, called Rescue Chocolate. It is so-named because I donate all profits to various animal rescue organizations around the world. All of my chocolate bars and truffles are vegan, kosher, handmade in Brooklyn, and packaged in eco-friendly materials. Each flavor is named after an issue important to animal rescuers. For example, I have a Peanut Butter Pit Bull bar and a new Un-Chain Un-Chocolate bar. Perhaps the readers of DogsRPoeple2 would be interested in learning more, and I would be honored to have you write about Rescue Chocolate. Please contact me if you would like more information (rescuechocolate.com). Thanks! -Sarah

    ReplyDelete