Sunday, September 25, 2011

Redemption

In June of 2005, I was on the hunt for the perfect "couple" dog for my, then boyfriend, and I. My search lead me to the Lynchburg Humane Society in VA, where I spent about an hour going up and down the aisles, looking at all the different dogs and cats up for adoption. Unfortunately, none of them really caught my attention, so I decided to call it a day.

While I was walking out, I looked over at the last crate on the left, and there walked up this skinny, 2 year old beagle mix named "Marty." The minute our eyes met, his tail started wagging and I knew right then that this was my dog. After being told that he was a 3rd striker and was to be put down soon, I quickly wrote out a $40 check & walked out with the newly named beagle named Baxter.

We had a few rough weeks getting to know each other but things started sailing along until I was diagnosed with leukemia in Sept of '05. Unfortunately, I had to leave him behind with my, now ex, until I was able to bring him down to FL. Finally, a good friend drove him down around Christmas and I was reuniting with Baxter.

The minute he walked into the house, he jumped into my bed and never left my side. He was there through all my chemo treatments, the bad days and the very bad days. Through it all he has been my constant companion & my best friend. Now I am 5 years in remission & he is a healthy 9 years old. I may have rescued him, but I like to think he rescued me as well.

Liz
Palm Bay, FL

No comments:

Post a Comment