Sunday, October 28, 2012

Never Too Much Trouble

In February 2012, I saw an eight week old puppy on the Lapeer County Animal Shelter website. We decided to get him as a gift for our older dog, Uh-Oh, who had just survived a life threatening surgery. I met the puppy before he was up for adoption. I fell in love with him the minute he gave me his paw through the cage door. I knew I never wanted to let him go. I brought Trouble home a few days later. I never imagined the emotional journey we would begin that day.

A day later, the volunteers at the shelter left me a message saying Trouble may have been exposed to Parvo in the shelter and listed the symptoms to look for. Within three days Trouble was in ICU receiving 24 hour treatment for Parvo, for four days. Three days after coming home he was rushed back to ICU with a fever of 106.3 due to a secondary infection.

That stay lasted three days. After recovering at home for a few days he began acting like the carefree silly puppy I remembered. He spent months making us laugh until we cried, running through the house with his butt down, flipping the rugs along the way. Until one day we noticed he was limping. At ten months old, Trouble has been diagnosed with hip dysplasia in both hips.

We dont know what his future will be but Trouble has fought hard to stay alive while jumping, panting and running circles around his challenges. As long as he is happy we will fight every obstacle we face while holding his paw.

We would like to thank the person that didn't want him, because he was meant for us.

We can't imagine our lives without those deep brown eyes watching us.

Shannon Bradshaw

Lapeer, MI

No comments:

Post a Comment