Tuesday, November 10, 2009

How Cammi rescued ME!

Heartbroken, after putting Gus, my first dog, a Blue Heeler to sleep in July, 2007, a friend reached out to me by sending daily emails with Petfinder listings of dogs up for adoption. "I'll never get another dog," I swore...Until I saw Cammi's beautiful scrappy photo on my computer. She was a petite Red Heeler- at CA Underdog Rescue all the way down in Fresno, over 250 miles away! "Too far," I thought, but as the days wore on, I could not stop thinking about her.

A 3-hour drive and a few days later, I loaded up Cammi into my car with her new collar and leash, full of anticipation.

Cammi had been found at the side of the road in a ditch, pregnant, sick with a respiratory infection and covered in ticks. She was taken in by the resuce, treated and prepared to deliver her puppies. Unfortunately, her pups were born with the same respiratory infection she had and they did not make it. Consequently, I learned that she too had a broken heart when we met. Our bond was immediate and it was like she already knew me.

The 2 of us drove down Interstate 5 together; both knowing the healing process had begun; my heart full of joy.

Two years later, Cammi convinced me to adopt again; fastforward to Sammi, another Red Heeler rescue, and the rewards have been never ending!

Kelly Sullivan
Windsor, CA

No comments:

Post a Comment