Saturday, October 24, 2009

Skitter's New Family


I adopted this beautiful seal blue Italian Greyhound on July 4th - Independance Day. She's the one in the middle in the photo. She was a puppy mill momma for 6 years and never had the life she should have. It was difficult to seperate her from her kennel mate, Marco ... but Marco has also found a happy home with the Director.

Juliet is now called Skitters because she is skittish about everything! Her recent toe-nail clipping turned exciting. It required 3 techs and the vet to hold her down - and she still won. Next time, she'll get a bit of happy medicine before her appointment. The vet suggested Rescue Remedy which is a herbal treatment for dogs with 'issues'. I add some to her drinking water and it seems to help. Or it may be useful hoping on my part. She has the run of the house, a great backyard with lots of hiding places and a doggie door. She's been wonderful about using the doggie door since day 2.

Her days are spent running and jumping with her new (grouchy) OLD iggy sister. Sometimes her iggy cousin comes for a visit. Skitters wears her catch leash 24/7. If it wasn't for the leash, I'd never catch her. After 2+ months, Skitters will sit on the couch with me and watch TV - as long as we maintain a 24" distance and I don't move.

She will lick my fingers if they are coated with Breyer's All Natural Vanilla/Chocolate Crackle Ice Cream. Nothing else will do. When I come home from work, she momentarily forgets how scary I am. Skitters will bark, wag her tail and do a little stiff-legged hopping dance. I love her dearly, and she is making progress to accepting her new life. She is so beautiful and sweet that it is hard not to just scoop her up and hug her. Someday!

Next goal is going for a walk on the leash - I'm hoping we can pull that off next spring. She has taught me patience! I've told her story to my friends, family and coworkers. I can't imagine how anyone could treat her or any of mill dogs so horribly. She has a forever home now and I'll spend everyday spoiling her. I am so glad the National Mill Dog Rescue let me adopt her!

No comments:

Post a Comment