Sunday, December 9, 2012

Lucky - The Miracle Mutt

Lucky truly lives up to his name. He was once a scared abandoned puppy who was shown no mercy, beaten and starved only to be thrown out in the middle of the woods right before a big Iowa winter, snow storm. However this little guy is a strong survivor, not only did he survive below freezing temperatures, but he ran for hours away from a family of coyotes, thinking he was going to meet his end when he was snagged in a snare (live trap). I was thirteen years old (now 22 going on 23) when my dad saved him. Each of the coyotes had also somehow been caught in snare as they tried to corner him in.


This little guy was scared of anything and everything; he most definitely wouldn’t have gone near a guy of any kind and would shake when you touched him. He spent much of his first few months hiding under my bed, except at night where he would come cuddle up on the pillow when he thought you were asleep. With the help of our lab/dalmatian mix he was able to look at a new leaf on life. He now is 10 years old and has new friends of his own living with me (the lab mix passed away when I was in high school and he was devastated going through a deep depression). He loves everybody, and everything including treats, playing with other dogs and lots of attention. I look back and see that scared little guy who only weighed a few pounds, who was so tiny and I’m so grateful my dad brought him home to me. He has become one of my greatest joys in life.

Shaylynn
Cedar Falls, IA

No comments:

Post a Comment