Sunday, April 11, 2010

Maximillion

I had been looking for a Mastiff and was talking to two rescue organizations. I received an email with a desparate cry for help to save this dog. Even though he isn't a purebred Mastiff, I drove the 2 hours to the animal shelter and picked him up - less than 12 hours before he was supposed to be put down. I had to pick him up to get him in my SUV. I brought him home and he was so scared, but curious. I took him to the vet the next morning. He was 66 pounds and I could almost count all of his bones. He was also heartworm positive and had other worms.

He was depressed and very, very scared. Now, 2 weeks later, he has gained weight and is very well integrated into my pack - a female Australian Shepherd and a male Lab/Border Collie. Max is a very, very sweet dog. He craves attention. If there is a thunderstorm, he gets so scared that he wants to get into my lap. He will sit and shake until it's over. I honestly feel like he loves it here. He has doggy friends to play with, a roof over his head, 2 meals a day and all the love I can give him. I'm so happy that I rescued Max - you can tell that he appreciates being alive.

Patricia Hawkins
Mooresville, NC

1 comment:

  1. I'm sure Maximillion appreciates your love more than you'll ever know. He knows you rescued him and he knows he has a permanent home with you. I admire what you do and I wish I had time and the facility to rescue dogs but I do donate to various shelters instead.
    As a professional pet sitter, I have had experience with the Mastiff breed and I find them to be big babies with sweet temperaments.
    I'd love it if you'd come on over to my blog because I am hosting my very 1st PERSONALIZED PET PORTRAIT GIVEAWAY and I think you'd love the artwork. Tell your friends to join in too...the more the merrier!
    -April + Daisy-

    ReplyDelete