Saturday, September 18, 2010

My Boo Bear - what a wonderful soul!

Seven years ago, my son was on a construction job in a housing project in the city. Sitting on the sidewalk all by himself, covered in dirt and fleas, was an adorable little labrador/pitbull mix puppy. My son looked around, picked the dog up and put him in the dump truck.

Apparently, in that part of town, labs (b/c of their good nature) and pitbulls are bred together as "bait dogs" for dog fighting rings. I had never heard of such a thing at the time and was horrified at the thought.

Fast forward - Boo Bear has been a magnificent animal from the beginning and continues to be so. (They all are.) He's smart, kind, loveable and I can't imagine life w/o him.

Since then, we've rescued one more from the same situation that we've kept and a few more that we've turned over to a no kill shelter.  How can people mistreat them? Education is a must - starting in pre-school.

Sherry Keating
Wilmington, DE

1 comment: