Friday, May 10, 2013

Love is just a sniff away

I was looking for a dog for my 2 year old lab/mix Tigger who was friendly with any dog, so I thought this would be easy. I set up meet and greets for several dogs which I thought would be a good match. After many attempts to find him a friend he snubbed his nose at all of them and ran away from them.

I was beginning to give up hope when we went to yet another shelter. I walked through to pick out a few dogs which I thought he might like. As I walked through I saw this skinny, funny looking dog that was barking at everyone who walked by. I remember thinking nobody is going to want her and I sure don't. We were getting ready to leave after another failed attempt when the skinny barking dog was playing with another dog in the play area. Tigger couldn't take his attention from them.

The girl at the shelter said why don't you let him play with her. I thought it couldn't hurt. It seemed like a match made in heaven from the minute they sniffed each other. They played for almost an hour. I realized this goofy barking dog was going to come home with me very soon. I quickly learned she had been at the shelter longer than any other dog. She was a one year old Doberman, Dalmatian, Shetland, Sheepdog mix. I now know this because I had her DNA tested but didn't know I would have such a neurotic dog at the time.

As neurotic as she is I love her immensely. She is my best running partner running up to 16 miles with me. She loves Tigger and follows him around like she is his shadow. I would have never picked her so I am so thankful Tigger has better judgment than I do.


Cyndee Platko

Las Vegas, NV


No comments:

Post a Comment