Sunday, October 10, 2010

Reprinted from Dog Crazy Newsletter www.petplace.com Feb 13, 2010

Dear Dr. Jon,

I have a black lab named Destiny. I found him lying in the weeds along a four-lane highway. Someone had hit him & left him to die. I normally would not have looked where he was lying as that is where I turn on to the highway and I am usually watching the traffic coming from around the curve and down the hill behind me in my rear-view mirror. But for some reason, (I call it destiny), I happened to look in the ditch & saw his black head above the weeds.

A friend and I rolled him onto a blanket, carried him up out of the ditch, put him in my Jeep and took him to my vet. He never growled, whined or tried to bite. He spent 10 days at the vet and it cost me $1000, so I decided at that cost I'd best keep him!

He had to have his left hind leg amputated at the hip. He had lost over half of his blood into the tissue around that hip, he was malnourished, dehydrated, full of worms and fleas, and his other hip was out of the socket. That hip would not stay in place, but the vet said he would eventually learn to walk on it and he has. It is a very awkward gait, but he doesn't seem to notice as he rips and tears through the house playing with his Cocker brother or our 5 cats.

I also have 2 female Labs outside and just lost my 15-year-old Lab-Bassett mix that I'd had since she was a puppy. All of our pets were strays or otherwise unwanted animals that we have taken in and they are the joys of our lives. Anyway, this was a long story, but now you know why his name is 'Destiny' ... I was meant to be his new Mommy.

Thanks,
Joetta Snellin

No comments:

Post a Comment