Wednesday, November 11, 2009

A Tribute to Dakota

















We so often feel the need to resort to faith when we're confronted with misfortune, heartbreak, calamity, or catastrophe, that cannot be justified or explained away in any logical plane. Losing a loved one far too soon comes to mind. One such occurrence hit the Hunsicker clan this week with horrific impact. A most unfortunate mishap – I would even go so far as to label it a disaster – that left us all with such sorrow. You cry, then you remember, then you cry some more until you try to make sense of it all. We are all left wondering how such a loving, giving little soul could be forced to endure the pain of a debilitating illness. And, despite the best medical care available, a little dog that brought so much joy to so many would eventually succumb to the disease. Not for lack of fighting either. From all first hand accounts, the little Yorkie – our Dakota - was a real trooper, a true fighter. She had much to live for. After all, too many relied on her for her to leave. In the short period that our Dakota was under hospital supervision, she quickly won the hearts of the doctors and staff.

We were all praying and pulling for her recovery. But it wasn't meant to be. And we all are left to deal with the pain and bewilderment in our own way. Personally, I pulled the faith card. All things happen for a reason. And, I know enough from experience to stop there. If you take it to the next level – attempting to figure out the "why" - you'll simply end up in a very bad state – anger, the feeling of betrayal, and eventually loss of faith. Best not to go there. Because as sure as the day is long, there's another heartbreak not too far down the road. And its faith that will get us all through that one. And the next one, and so on.
This post is a tribute to the too short, but incredibly full life that Dakota lived. I only hope my mother and sister can "pull the faith card", as I have, to get through this. Because through faith we know this happened for a reason, and some day – when all are united again, we will have the answer to all the "whys". We love you Dakota, we will miss you Dakota, and we will see you again. We know this because we have faith.

An email from Dakota's Doctor at the Florida Veterinary Referral Center to my sister Susan, who - along with Dakota's sister Phoebe - was under the constant care and supervision of Dakota from sun up to sun down.

From: Courtney North [mailto:courtnorthvmd@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 10, 2009 11:06 AM
Subject: Dakota

Hi Ms. Gallo - yesterday I took a look at Dakota's blog and I just wanted to drop you a note because the site is so sweet and the pictures of Dakota are wonderful. She and Phoebe were adorable together and I also love the photo of Dakota looking perky. I know what a tremendous loss this is for all of you - Dakota was such a sweet girl and was quickly beloved by everyone at FVRC. She is in everyone's thoughts.
Sincerely,
Courtney North

My sister's reply to Dr. North:

From: Susan Gallo [mailto:Susan@SusanGallo.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 10, 2009 6:14 PM
To: 'Courtney North'
Subject: RE: Dakota

Thank you, Dr. North. I am still reeling and can't quite come to grips with our loss. I so believed she would be coming back home, I was devastated Sunday when I saw her. I still can't understand and wish so much I had spent the last 2-1/2 hours with her instead of sitting in the reception area. When I finally got to see her and those loving eyes saw me, she just gave up. She had waited for me to say goodbye. I have so much guilt and regrets over the last two weeks....I cannot see straight.

My issues aside, my brother is going to do a tribute on his blog. I will send you the link when it is finished. I want to thank you and your staff for caring so much and trying so hard to save her—believe me, she was worth the trouble. I just wish we could have kept her here—pain free—for many more years. I need her love. She loved so hard and cared so much it was unbelievable. She actually cared if you were upset, hurt or if she did something naughty—which she so seldom did....and she would pout if you had to scold her....

Again, thank you. I just wish I was thanking you for saving her....God Bless You.

Warmly,
Susan
An email from a nieghbor who was also touched and inspired by Dakota's loving nature...
From: Ann Frees [mailto:afrees@harmonyinc.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 12, 2009 10:37 AM
To: 'Susan Gallo'
Subject: RE: Dakota's tribute
Hi Susan,

I loved Dakota and will miss her. She called to me from her open garage door whenever she knew that I was near by. …..always ready and wanting to reach out and connect. That meant giving a lick and getting a tummy rub. She had complete confidence in her purpose in the world…..to share her unrestrained exuberance and unconditional love. Thank you Dakota. We can all take a lesson from you and make sure that we live each day in the same way.

Harmony in all things,
Ann

And another...

From: Toni Hunter [mailto:toni3299@verizon.net]
Sent: Thursday, November 12, 2009 9:59 AM
To: 'Sharon Arnold'
Subject: RE: Tribute to Dakota

Oh, what a beautiful tribute to little Dakota – it seems that everyone that she touched loved her so much. Just think of the joy she brought to your family the years she lived with them. Knowing that she was loved and taken care of better than some children experience is a tribute to all of you.

Dakota will live forever in your memory and like you wrote in the blog, she has joined the other Hunsicker pets, who are not in pain anymore and will once again be frolicking and being the puppy you know her to be.

Thanks so much for sharing this with me…what a wonderful touching tribute.

Love you,
Me

No comments:

Post a Comment