Monday, November 9, 2009

"Trying to find my soldier momma!"

I rescued a dog I named Maggie from a shelter at Ft Stewart GA in Feb 2007. She had been beaten, abused, and starved before I got her. I have rescued 2 black lab retreiver mixes before her, and I love them. I got her home and we bonded immediatly. She got along great with my other dog (a rescue from a shelter in TX) and my cat.

I got married in Sept 2007 and deployed to Iraq in Oct 2007. Once I deployed to Iraq in support of OIF V Maggie took it VERY hard. She is a momma's girl and went everywhere I went. She wouldnt eat, play, or be herself without me. At the beginning on Dec 2007 she ran away, appearently trying to find me. She was gone for 4 months. I came home on leave in Feb 2008 and spent my 2 weeks home looking for her. I went house to house and back to the shelter numerous times.

I finally had to go back to Iraq, and in April my husband received a call from the shelter saying that they thought they had Maggie. I happened to be talking to him online when he got the call. He went down there and sure enough she was there. He brought her home, and told me online that she was home safe and sound. I called him immediatly and talked to her on the phone. He told me that she was wagging her tail and I could hear her whining when she heard my voice. Since I have been home from Iraq she will barely leave my side.


Brandie Sims
Nacogdoches, TX

No comments:

Post a Comment