Saturday, January 9, 2010

Lost and found

Nov. 17, 2009 my husband was elk hunting in the high desert of southern Idaho. He saw an animal scratching at the ice on a pond, trying to get a drink, and followed her to an old cow carcass which she was chewing on and living in. He coaxed her out and brought her home. She had her front paw injured, probably in a coyote trap, and one toe half gone and infected. She had been out there 6-8 weeks in the freezing cold.

She was dehydrated, malnourished, ears and foot infected and she was very smelly. We bathed her twice and then she spent the night at the vet on IV fluids and antibiotics. The Doc said she probably would not have lasted out there one more day. She is still very scared of loud noises and the dark. We think she was lost during bird hunting season in September and caught in the trap for who knows how long. We named her Sadie and after 6 weeks of TLC she is doing much better. She gets along well with our two Labs, Buddy and Sassy, and Chewy the cat, and has been a lovely addition to our family.

Judy
Buhl, ID

1 comment:

  1. I received my first gift of the year shortly after midnight on New Years Day. My daughter had just left my house and I was putting on my "jammies" when I heard a pounding at my door. I opened the door to find my daughter holding a dog in her arms. She found the dog in the middle of the snow covered and slippery road in the freezing cold. She opened her car door when the dog wouldn't move from the middle of the road and he immediately jumped into her car. The tag on his collar told me his name and his phone number so shortly after midnight, I called the number. The owner of the dog didn't even know his dog was missing since the number provided was a cell phone and the owner was on the road driving to a friend's house; he was more than a little skeptical when I called. I gave him enough information so he would believe that I did, in fact, have his dog and I was not a psychotic fool looking to dupe him. It wasn't long before the dog's owner showed up at my door. My gift? My gift was the excitement I was allowed to witness as the dog recognized his owner's voice and responded with pure love and affection. The owner was more than grateful that his beloved pet was safe and returned to him. What a wonderful way to start the New Year!

    ReplyDelete