Saturday, July 18, 2009

Owners of puppy mill survivors are a special breed

I remember Conni telling me she was exhibiting all the signs of a dog that had shut down and given up. I also remember thinking there was something wrong with her back because it was arched. It took awhile for me to realize that it was a fear posture. She wouldn't even look at me for the first two weeks but she's come leaps and bounds from the poor sad creature I met on that first day. Unfortunately she had a few more challenges identified at her vet visit.

She had mammary tumors and eyelashes that were growing backward and damaging her eye. She had surgery for both and is doing well. Despite her medical issues Maggie also managed to gain nearly a pound. She's still quite shy, but she gives me puppy kisses in the morning, and last week she started to play. It's a joy to watch her little tail wag when I walk into the room and greet her.

Potty training is about 90% complete... thank heaven for the Bissel Little Green Machine! It makes mistakes a breeze to clean up. Last week I took the girls for their first trip to the Doggy Spa. The spa was great. The owner understands the special needs of puppy mill survivors because she has one. She doesn't allow cage drying and when the dogs are finished they are placed in a doggy play area until they are picked up. The picture was taken right after our visit to the spa. Marlee is on the left and Maggie is on the right. I also have an ornery 16 year old cat who has decided the girls are more likeable than most people. It's not uncommon for all three to wind up on my bed at the same time.

Courtesy of National Mill Dog Rescue

1 comment:

  1. Reading this and stories like this makes my heart soar. You can see and feel the love given out by Marlee and Maggie. I fell in love with them at first sight. Good Luck to thier owner and keep those stories coming.

    ReplyDelete