Monday, July 13, 2009

A Tribute to Lily














The following poem was inspired by the gentle, wonderful, forgiving spirit and soul of a little dog that had endured so many years of abandonment and abuse yet still managed to embrace people before disease had claimed her short life. For her story, see the previous post.

Lily - A Tribute
by Susie Bell

She sat to the rear of her small wire cage, her world confined to here
For seven long years, this filth was home, so my eyes were filled with tears.
Her teeth were gone, her jaw had rot, her spirit nearly done
Yet in her stare, I found a plea, and I couldn't just walk on.

I made a vow right then and there to take her from this place
And in my heart, forever more, was the image of her face.
I bid for her at auction, like the prisoner she had been
And determined that the price be damned, for this one I would win.

I took her home, with my embrace, her life begun anew
I wished I could have saved them all and brought them freedom too.
But in this sweet forgiving soul, I found the strength to start
For all those dogs who live this way are forever in my heart.

For one short year, sweet Lily knew the love she'd been denied
And so it was, in loving arms, she slipped away and died.
Her suffering was at an end, but not before she knew
What life was like outside a cage, and love could be so true.

It is her gentle spirit that guides me in this quest
To change the fate of those still there, for that I will not rest.
There are ten thousand Lily's still waiting to be freed
Each one of them in misery, and all of them in need.

Please share her tale with others and help them know the pain
A business cruel and ugly to be held in great disdain.
We owe it to them all to stop this heartless trade.
On the misery of innocents...tainted profit to be made.

I know sweet Lily watches the bitter tears I shed
For her and all the others who did suffer and are dead.
But in her name we rescue as many as we can
A journey that I hope can redeem the soul of man.

To Lily - our beloved angel!

Susie Bell
Copyright 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment