Saturday, August 29, 2009

I found my sweetheart at a rescue in Missouri through petfinder.com.

When I saw Chuckie's picture I knew we were meant for each other. Chuckie had been surrendered by a breeder at 1 year old, probably because he was "big" for the Maltese breed. I'm glad they at least cared enough to give him up. The day I got him I met the generous soul running the rescue in St. Louis which was a 3 hour drive one way for us both.

My little guy was skinny as a rail, his hair was over his eyes and he was absolutely petrified. Our Blue Heeler/Australian Shepard adopted Chuckie immediately. I know he could sense how scared the little guy was and appointed himself as his guardian angel until Chuckie learned he was loved, safe and at home.

Chuckie's been the baby for 1 1/2 yrs.now and is such a different guy, but it has taken almost the whole time for him to come around. In the beginning, he was especially afraid of men and children. He didn't wag his tail, give kisses, or play (except with another dog)...it was heart breaking. Chuckie's a farm dog now who's constantly getting cuckle burrs in his beautiful, cottony white hair and thinks he's as big as the cattle he likes to bark at.

I'll never forget receiving his first kiss after probably 6-8 months. Toys...watch out...he plays and plays, flinging them in the air, chasing after them and running big circles in the yard.

There's so much love in those big beautiful black eyes. He told me he's always wanted to be a farm dog too.


Laura
Morganfield, KY

Courtesy of The Animal Rescue Site

No comments:

Post a Comment