Friday, August 14, 2009

Penny

I met "Abigale", now named "Penny" at the intake in Jan. 09'. She had just arrived the day before from Mo., brought to Theresa in the back of a truck in a parking lot so no one could see where she came from. She was almost 6 yrs old, I thought she was a puppy and was surprised to find out her age. I wanted an older dog since I have a Bichon that is almost 13 at home and we had just lost our Pug to illness. I came that day hoping to go home with a Pug and saw this Havanese that was so calm and now realize she was so quiet because she was scared to death. I brought her home that very day.

From day one she has slept in the bed with us and learned a leash right away. But she definately has scars from being in a puppy mill for so many years, she cowers still after 6 mos. when I go to pick her up and still has fears of my husband. But every day she is a joy and I look at her little face and feel so sad that 1/2 of her life was spent in a cage, it just breaks my heart. Penny is now "free" and has learned how to be a real dog. She absolutely loves rolling in the grass, something she never experienced. She discovered her toys we keep in a basket and that is one of her toys in the picture.

I bought her a t-shirt that says "Puppy Mill Survivor" and she wears it proudly to events for NMDR. I am so thankful to have her in my life and will love her for the rest of her life, she deserves so much for what she had to endure. I wish I could change her past, when she is fearful of noises and strangers, I know that she can't forget the horrible life she had to live but the last 1/2 of her life will be wonderful and hopefully will make up for the bad times. Thank you Theresa and the entire organization for all that is done for these dogs, I am so proud to be a small part of the volunteer effort.

Another wonderful rescue story from National Mill Dog Rescue

No comments:

Post a Comment