Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Our Terrier Twins

After losing our two beloved, 15 year old poodles just three weeks apart, I said "I can't go through this pain again, no more dogs for me!" I grieved for a week as I put away dog toys, bowls, and beds, sad everytime I glanced at one of their favorite napping places, now empty. Then I received a sympathy note from a friend who said it might be healing for me to honor the deaths of my poodles by opening my home to an abandoned dog in a shelter. I resisted, but went to the computer and saw the thousands of animals needing a home.

I found these two brothers at our local UnderDog Rescue of Bradenton, Florida. They had been rescued from a shelter in Miami and were about 6 months old, all their actions in tandem, so that their foster mom called them "the twins." There was nothing to do but adopt them both. Raising terrier mix puppies is quite a new experience for my husband and me, but we've gotten so much happiness, laughter, and love from them! I didn't replace my old poodle babies, but am honoring their memory in the best way possible.

Gayle Putman
Bradenton, FL

Courtesy of The Animal Rescue Site

No comments:

Post a Comment